Did you know that I am probably going to be a chef when I grow up? Yesterday my Mom and I made chili. My favorite part of making chili is browning the meat and putting in the spices.
We normally eat our chili with cheese straws which are like cheesy bread sticks with pepper flakes. This time we had flour tortillas and cheese quesedillas with our chili. Sometimes we make frito pie with it too. I hope you will try this recipe and let me know if you like it.
Please comment and show me a picture of your chili and how you make it.
Talk to you in my next post,
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 1 hr 30 min
Total time: 1 hr 45 min
- 2 pounds freshly ground beef
- 4 cups (1 quart) tomato juice
- 1 (29-ounce) can tomato purée
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1½ cups)
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup chili powder (you may want to use less)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
In a frying pan, brown the ground beef, then drain off the fat. Put the beef and the remaining ingredients into a 6-quart pot. Cover the pot and let the chili simmer for 1 to 1½ hours, stirring every 15 minutes. You an also put this in the crock pot on low for 3 to 4 hours while the chili simmers.