Saturday, March 9, 2019

Coastal Brigade Highlights

Image result for coastal brigadeHowdy guys, it's me Andrew! Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I've been staying busy with eighth grade! I want to take a few minutes and share a wonderful experience I had this past summer at the Coastal Brigade camp held in Galveston, Texas. The best way I could describe it is a 4 1/2 day crash course covering all aspects of Texas's coastal ecosystem. I'm going to walk you through the typical day and share some of my favorite highlights of the program!
In the mornings we would practice marching, journal writing and photography before breakfast. During the afternoons we had classroom time where different speakers came and shared their knowledge with the class. In the evenings when things cooled down we went outside to fish, practice different casting methods, and ride with Texas Parks & Wildlife experts to shrimp, harvest oysters, view the dangers of gill netting, and learn boat safety. 
Coastal Brigade taught so much, we had little time to sleep! Early mornings were at 6 (or earlier if you wanted to win the room inspection contest) and one night we didn't go to bed until 2:30!!

At first I was a little grossed out when dissection of a 9 foot shark started, but then I realized how neat getting to see the inside anatomy that helps sharks survive!

Here's a picture of me at the front of the classroom meeting the founder of Fish Sticks fishing rods!

Besides just learning about being a ethical angler, Brigades teaches leadership, public speaking, and team building. In this photo we are in teams where we each had a rope that is all attached to a piece of elastic. We were tasked with stacking cans without spilling the water inside. It took a lot of communicating but we were able to finish! 
For the last day of camp, our families came to see us march in for a ceremony where we were congratulated for finishing and becoming conservation ambassadors in our communities!

No comments:

Post a Comment